DIY: A Fabric Birthday Corsage

>> Thursday, May 27, 2010


I had a hankering to craft a birthday gift for my dear friend, Molly, who came up to the city last weekend to stay with me and celebrate. When I was in NYC earlier this Spring, I went a little CRAZY buying fabric with Amanda of Untamed Petals. So I have stacks of this gorgeous fabric and am not sure what to do with it! I decided it was time to get to work and USE my lovely yards of NYC fabric for gifting...so I created a quick and easy fabric strip rosette corsage. I know there are TONS of great DIY tutorials on how to make fabric pins, but here's my super fast version. Forgive the image quality, I can't seem to locate my camera charger (moving, boxes, you know how that goes) so I was stuck with the iPhone to capture the project.

Start by cutting strips (they do not have to be perfect or totally uniform in width, just keep them relatively the same in length) of fabric. It doesn't take much to make these, so it's great for using up scraps you have lying around. You can also mix and match fabrics too!

Layer the strips in a criss-crossed manor...I doubled up two strips per layer, but there is no rhyme or reason to how you do this step.

Once they're all layered, do a big pinch to gather the layers together. I use a couple dabs of hot glue to keep the layers in place before I did this. Then get out a needle and thread for a really quick rough stitching...

I just did a couple of big stitches where I had the fabric pinched to hold the gathers and pieces all together. Then I repeated the entire process with a coordinating fabric...

I made the complimentary rosette slightly smaller than the original (just cut shorter strips). Then hot glue the rosettes in a cluster onto a pin, and cover your glue with a piece of fabric backing for a finished look.

I used a pieces of chip board, cut down to size, to create a backing for the pin. By punching two small holes, I slipped the pin through and attached to the backing. I also punched two more holes to tie a bow through, then stamped the front with HAPPY BIRTHDAY and the back with my "HANDMADE BY" stamps (both from Paper Source). And, voila! The pin is complete, perfectly packaged and doubles as a gift and birthday card all in one! It probably took me about 20 minutes total to create this Birthday Corsage...these also make great package toppers or can be attached to a headbands or handbags for a different look. So versatile and easy!

8 comments:

Cindy / Aka Chymecindy May 27, 2010 at 4:48 AM  

It's beautiful. You are so talented.

Anna @ IHOD May 27, 2010 at 5:05 AM  

absolutely adorable.
Such a fun idea! And its packaged in a great way! Definately bookmarking this one!

Lana {lanalou style} May 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Love this, what a great little gift to add to just about anything!

Mande May 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

Super cute! Will try this soon.

annie b June 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

molly was wearing this the other night at dinner, SO cute!!!

dearjoeloverosie June 16, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

totally cute! and a nice alternative to a lot of the fabric flower tutorials i've been digging. thanks for sharing! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
COPYRIGHT INFO
All photos, products and designs on this blog are property of Frenchie & Flea {unless otherwise noted} and cannot be duplicated, manipulated, or sold for a profit. We do our very best to credit all vendors, photographers & sources we use. If you would like to feature images found here on your blog, please feel free to do so with a proper image credit to both Frenchie & Flea and the cited source {if applicable}. Thank you very much for stopping by! We hope you leave here inspired.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP