Mickey & Minnie Mouse Cupcakes

>> Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ok, so before I begin this post, here is my photography disclaimer: all these photos are taken with my iPhone because my camera was dead. Sorry for the weird quality on them!

I was asked to bring dessert to a Mickey & Minnie themed birthday party. It was a fitting theme, for a twin boy & girl, so I decided there HAD to be boy & girl cupcakes, right?!



I used the Cake Mix Doctor recipe for doctoring up yellow boxed mix. I made 12 cupcakes in cute liners (double-lined) in extra big cupcake liners that had cute prints on them. I also made 12 smaller cupcakes that I just baked in silicone liners (to be removed) to use for extra cake for the tops. As I was hunting around the web looking for cupcake inspiration, I discovered that you can achieve that perfect domed cupcake top WITHOUT adding piles of frosting! You just add a little extra cake dome with a dollop of frosting in between the layers and frost away! AMAZING TRICK!



Then I used pink Tootsie Rolls to form little bows (1 tootsie per bow....and yes, you use your hands and squish away), and York Peppermint Patties for the ears!



I frosted a "crumb layer" first and let them set in the fridge before frosting the final layer and attaching the ears (smoosh them in really well, and use a little extra frosting to fill in the gaps they make). I baked one Oreo cookie into each cupcake bottom for an extra surprise. (Just fill the liner a little, drop a cookie in and fill to cover it up!). Then I crushed the remainging cookies (sans creme filling) and sprinkled them onto the "boy" cupcakes.....and.....VOILAH!



Aren't they cute?! I didn't even do ears on all of them (I ran out of Peppermint Patties) so you could easily save time and just add ears to some and crumble Oreos onto the rest.
They were a big hit!!!!



11 comments:

forget.me.knot.weddings February 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

Oh these are too cute and my cousin just got engaged at Disneyland so these make me smile!

The Kelleher Family February 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

so cute! I think I will have to remember this one for my lil ones bday this year! Good job

Bonnie February 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

How fun are these?!?!

Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Anonymous,  February 23, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

YOU are a cupcake cutie ;)

alli/hooray February 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

How cute! These look so good right now, definitely making me crave one (or two!).

Carol February 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

These came out so cute! I love the pink tootsie roll bow- you are so clever!

Julie February 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

So cute! I might have to try to make them some time.

I would love a few of those gift tags...If you list them I will buy. :) Just let me know when they're up. Thanks!

NsarkiM March 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
COPYRIGHT INFO
All photos, products and designs on this blog are property of Frenchie & Flea {unless otherwise noted} and cannot be duplicated, manipulated, or sold for a profit. We do our very best to credit all vendors, photographers & sources we use. If you would like to feature images found here on your blog, please feel free to do so with a proper image credit to both Frenchie & Flea and the cited source {if applicable}. Thank you very much for stopping by! We hope you leave here inspired.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP