STYLE: Your Home

>> Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I (Allegra) don't own my own home.
In fact, I've moved in and out of a lot of apartments.
Making those temporary places feel like HOME was not something I had the energy to do.
I didn't want to invest in painting walls and loving where I was if it was all going to go back into boxes and moved again.{white chair: craigslist for $18. side table: alameda: $40. bench below mantle: pasadena flea market for $50}

Now I have lived in the same place for almost two years and I am finally feeling like NESTING.
The great thing, I realize now, in my decision to push off the need to nest is it has given me the time to truly shift and shape what I want HOME to look like.

In a prior life I was obsessed with Pottery Barn.
In reality, it was wayyy outside of my price range.
And then I started to see something--
Pottery Barn merely recreates what the creative people are doing.
Burlap is in?
PB does burlap.
Mercury glass is in?
PB does mercury glass.
I decided I didn't need someone to recreate for me, I discovered an itch to hunt and create myself.
I found a mass majority of my inspiration in blogs!
{Lola B's, BlondienSC, Loving Pretty Things, Shop With Lulu...}

{paper flowers from the gilded bee. perfect for someone like me who can't keep a plant alive!}

Emily & I first went to Alameda last year--it changed my world and redefined my home.
Meet my definitive piece: my entry table.

A complete bargain at only $110.00 I found the piece that began to mold my creative energy for my nest.
This piece has esentially inspired the entire direction of my home-- and gave me the bug to hunt
because there is something GLORIOUS about the chase
(c'mon ladies, you know there is!)
And if you're me, there's something OUTSTANDING about a steal!
(My husband and I have believed firmly that we should not go into debt to decorate.
We keep a fund just for our home that we put a little into all the time so when we find what we like, it's not a burden, it's something we can truly enjoy)


{& pillow from petite coterie}

I also started to allow myself to invest in the little details.
My favorite pieces in my living room are the glass vase on the mantle filled with pearls and a funky stem as well as my & pillow. The pillow just adds that something extra!

Home details are like accessories...I may not have initially seen the purpose in spending the money on them but they complete a look & feel.

Sure, with the style I like, I have to work for it....and be patient
If you like this style, you know you might have to dig through TONS of stuff...


But when you find the right piece... you know.

Meet my new baby-- my new dining table.
While the photo of it still shows it in the store where she still is, the hus and I saw her and KNEW--
hook line and sinker--this table had to be ours!
(Chase & Bargain. Siiiigh)

This antique farm house table will seat 8 & was such a steal I can't even mention it because you'll mob me.
To quote my quoting friend, Emily, "I DIE!"

After all of these years never making my home my nest, I had the time to develop my final style.
I know I love a hunt, I know I love a bargain, I know I love unique & creative.

Have you defined your style?
Are you still shaping yours?
Don't lose heart!
Tear out catalog images, print blog images, photograph things you see.
Save those images in a binder and watch what takes shape.
Your nest will be yours in no time!

Interested in sharing your creative vision and how it's taken shape?
Submit your style story & images to us
info {at} frenchieandflea {dot} com

13 comments:

Unknown January 20, 2010 at 4:45 AM  

The thrill of the hunt, waiting, I love it. I don't want matchy matchy. But how do you stop? Now I have too much, I really need to start getting rid of some things. It's just so much fun. I'm not crazy about buying from furniture stores. I know it's out there for less if you wait and hunt.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas January 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

I love all of this! But...that TABLE!! omg!

Stunning...you have GREAT style!

Lou Cinda

Sa-Sea January 20, 2010 at 6:57 AM  

love it!!!!! i am a junkie! my gym is right next to a killer consignment shop....and i think it is my main motivation to go to the gym these days! that table is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I have a farm table that was handed down from my Mother in law...but the red distressed legs stress me out! am dying to paint it, but nervous that my VERY OPINIONATED mother in law will say something. Might actually do it just to encourage the "discussion" :)
love your finds!!!!!!

Dandy January 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

I need help! I'm going to do exactly what you say and start creating a binder. I have really eclectic taste and I'm having a hard time putting that together in my apartment.

I adore vintage but I'm really more a mid-century modern type of girl... but I don't want it to come off cold.

I love your finds and I think I'll go to the pasadena flea market next month... I've never actually been!

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ January 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

what an amazing layout you've created, Legs - LOVE your style - and it kicks PB's a*s. ;)

Oh ya, I just said that.

xoxo

stephanie January 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

i know what you mean about not having the energy to make somewhere feel like home...especially when you are going to move. it's exhausting. when i moved into my current home (with my bfff), it definitely felt like home. like i could relax.

i love your style :)

Erin January 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

you've created a wonderful, rich aesthetic. Always enjoy hearing from others who love the thrill of the hunt & finding unappreciated treasures! congrats on a beautiful space!

S.L.North January 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

I love flea-marketing, and rediscovering something in an unlikely place.
I love the little container that you put the roses in. ;)
thanks for the link :)

Anonymous,  January 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Allegra, I love what you have done, that room looks so comfortable and cozy...and all for not much $$, love it!! That table is gorgeous, please don't tell what you got it for, I might DIE with emily! Thanks for sharing, it is important to love where you live wether you own or rent! I need to go to the Alameda flea!

LuLu January 20, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

Your table is SOOOOO fantastic! Oh my!! Love your room, it has such cozy character...i'd be over in a heart beat for a cup of tea!
xo,
LuLu

an encourager January 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

My style is having my creative friends, like Laurie (Emily's mom) come over and arrange. My house has not changed much in the ten years since we've moved in and she came over and helped me put things in their places. So, I guess my style is having the fun of friends over who are willing to play around and rearrange the things I love. My BFF Shannon still does the same thing when she comes in town. And I am content as can be. :)

liso. January 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

i agree with everything that's been said... and i'm in love with your room - i adore the various whites paired with the rustic woods, and my heart skipped a beat when i saw your bench. recently picked up an old church pew on craigs list that i'm refinishing, but i'm dying over yours....

if we didn't have the two dogs, i dream that our home would look like this. c'est la vie.

Carol January 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

I love your style. You have found some steals. I am way jealous of the farm table-what a sweet find!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
COPYRIGHT INFO
All photos, products and designs on this blog are property of Frenchie & Flea {unless otherwise noted} and cannot be duplicated, manipulated, or sold for a profit. We do our very best to credit all vendors, photographers & sources we use. If you would like to feature images found here on your blog, please feel free to do so with a proper image credit to both Frenchie & Flea and the cited source {if applicable}. Thank you very much for stopping by! We hope you leave here inspired.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP