Mood Boards

>> Friday, May 29, 2009

(image: Ez of Creature Comforts for Melissa Loves)

In college I studied Graphic Design and also took a TON of Fine Art & Art History. One thing we did before almost EVERY project was create "mood boards" to pitch our idea/concept to the class. This was probably my favorite part of the creative process, and took me back to my childhood when I would create mood boards for EVERYTHING (even cutting out cute kids in magazines and putting them on a "this is what my family will look like someday" board). Below is my current wedding mood board (please forgive me for not having all of the links...). It honestly wasn't until I created this that I felt committed to my vision and at ease with my planning. I had DIRECTION and something to look at that kept me inspired and also made it easier to make decisions. Everything I purchase, make, or DO needs to somehow fit into the vision below...this keeps me from straying or having too many elements that don't coexist beautifully.

I read a TON of wedding and style blogs and loooove how mood boards have become such a part of even the "electronic" creative experience! They are also called "Inspiration Boards" or "Vision Boards" but whatever you call them, they are AWESOME. If you have a project or concept stirring around in your head, a home improvement or gardening vision, even an outfit idea, the BEST thing to do is to put it down on paper (on on your computer screen). Lay out colors, patterns, textures, pictures of inspiring places or things and allow yourself lots of flexibility....mix and match, add and take away...until you have achieved the right mood. I also find that looking at other people's boards when I am in a creative rut can really get my juices flowing again! Here are some of my favorites from other blogs:

100 Layer Cake creates simply wonderful boards with fabulous color pallettes.

Snippet & Ink takes an inspired color, item or feeling and creates an entire wedding concept with it, the board above was completely built upon red poppies!

Ez at Creature Comforts creates outfits (complete with where to buy and total cost!) inspired by everything from an interior to an occasion.

Concrete and Honey uses collage as an art form...this is my favorite kind of inpsiration board, the kind where you cut things, paste things, add notes, etc. I could look at her flickr all day!

So...if you are ever feeling overwhelmed by a looming project, creative block because you have all these ideas swimming around in your head, or just plain don't know where to start (i.e. planning an event or shopping for an outfit), mood boards are a great way to get organized and get your ideas out in one visible spot. And as much as they can help you START a project, they most definitely can keep you focused throughout a project (like a wedding). Yay for mood boards! Don't you just LOVE them?

5 comments:

~Grace Happens~ May 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

I completely heart your wedding mood board! I am so excited to see it come to life. It will be gorgeous!

a.love May 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

i want to BE you. seriously.

Anonymous,  May 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Your wedding is going to be absolutely gorgeous! wow...ok, so now tell me where I can start to make these gorgeous boards on my computer, I am kinda illiterate when it comes to things like this, but I love the idea and well picnik doesn't cut it for me!! So do tell Emily! I can't wait to see all of the photos from your wedding, I love the flowers and the bridesmaid dresses...just perfect!

Emily B May 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

I use Adobe Photoshop to create them...which I know is expensive and a lot of people don't have...but you can easily use Microsoft Word and just put a ton of pics on one page (obviously you don't have as much control in terms of layout...). You could also put together albums via Flickr of collected ideas and inspiration, this would be more reminiscent of tearing pages out of a magazine and keeping them in an inspiration binder. BUT if you ever want a little mood board creation, send me your collected images or even a theme or idea and I can help you out :) FUN FUN!

My Sweet & Saucy May 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

Thank so much for stopping by my blog! Love yours as well!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
COPYRIGHT INFO
All photos, products and designs on this blog are property of Frenchie & Flea {unless otherwise noted} and cannot be duplicated, manipulated, or sold for a profit. We do our very best to credit all vendors, photographers & sources we use. If you would like to feature images found here on your blog, please feel free to do so with a proper image credit to both Frenchie & Flea and the cited source {if applicable}. Thank you very much for stopping by! We hope you leave here inspired.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP